Have your questions regarding the Certificate of Eligibility answered fast? Gain knowledge on how to start your California VA home loan process

Whether you’re on active duty, a veteran, or in the reserves, you’re eligible for a VA home mortgage. Like everything involving the Veterans Administration, you’ve got steps to follow in order to qualify for the home loan benefit you’re entitled to receive. The VA will provide you with a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) that qualifies you for a VA home mortgage. Does the VA provide the mortgage loans directly? No. It approves your eligibility and the loan and property eligibility. But first steps first: in order to start the process, you need your COE.

What should you do to get a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for a VA home loan?

If you’re not an active duty servicemember, your COE starts with your discharge document: the DD 214. The quickest way to get your DD 214 is by using the MilConnect website or the VA’s e-benefits.gov website. You can also request your DD 214 in writing from the National Personnel Records Center. Be aware that some businesses offer DD 214 services and charge you for them. You can get all of your needed forms for free from the VA.

Once you have your DD 214, the process of determining eligibility for a VA home loan and getting your COE can start. Rules for qualifying for a COE and a VA home mortgage can be complex, but you can apply for your COE online by going through your benefits portal.

You can also speed up the process by working with a lender who is qualified to work with the Web LGY system. The Web LGY system usually establishes eligibility and offers an online COE in seconds.

If you’re a surviving spouse of a Veteran, did you know that you are also eligible for a VA home mortgage? Your process for obtaining a COE for a VA home mortgage involves an additional step. You need to obtain VA Form 26-1817 and provide it to your lender. They use the form to determine your eligibility for the VA home mortgage benefit. If you’re not receiving DIC benefits (Dependency & Indemnity Compensation) you’ll also need to document your marriage by providing your marriage certificate.

The rules for VA home mortgage eligibility can seem complex, but if you’re a veteran, surviving spouse, or active duty servicemember, you can take advantage of home ownership and zero money down VA home mortgages by working with a VA home loan mortgage specialist.


This is 71 on the Sharethrough scorer – uses 5 context words